In television and film there is a saying that I love: Last Looks. This is the signal for any last minute adjustments, especially to hair, makeup, wardrobe and props before the cameras roll. We all have our own version of last looks as we leave our homes every day; grabbing our phones, looking in the mirror, double checking locked doors, etc. It’s the little details that ensure we are ready for the big things on the horizon.
One of my favorite travel magazines posted a headline this week entitled “The Last Gasp Of Summer.” What?! There’s plenty of time to squeeze some good stuff into the calendar before the leaves start changing colors on the trees. And plenty of ways to puff some air into the remains of this beautiful season. I’m taking last looks at my Summer and making sure I’ve done everything I can to welcome Fall with no regrets.
- Have I eaten my share of watermelon? Nope.
- Have I quenched my thirst with enough lemonade? Yes!
- Did I see fireworks? Yup.
- Have I gone swimming in an ocean/sea/creek/lake/pond/pool? You bet!
- How many out door concerts/movies have I seen? I think only 2. (So far!)
- Camping? No. Hiking? Yes. Kayaking? Yes. Sailing? No.
- Seen enough sunsets, sunrises, full moons and shooting stars? I could have seen all of them and it would never be enough.
- Played in a tipi? Yes - 3 times!
- Read enough books? Not yet.
- Eaten enough ice cream? Probably. Popsicles? Definitely not.
- Gone on vacation? Oh Yes!
- Walked barefoot through the grass? Yes.
- Have I gone to a street fair/festival/carnival/amusement park? Yes!
- Eaten enough corn and tomatoes? Not yet!
- Consumed enough glasses of rosé wine? Almost.
- Have I had a picnic? Yes.
- Have I played on a slip-n-slide? No. Run through the sprinklers? No. Danced in a fountain? Yes!
Besides this list, I’ve lived up to my moniker of Lisa Adams In NYC by playing tourist in my own town and I’ve also taken little road trips on the East Coast these past few weeks. Boston and Washington D.C. provided perfect escapes to close out my Summer. What’s on your last looks of Summer list? Is there something I am forgetting? Let me know in the comments below and share some of your highlights.
I’ve written before that I am the daughter of two teachers, so back to school time had our household buzzing for sure. Last looks back then were truly about getting ready for the 9 months on the horizon. I was such a sweet little nerd sharpening my pencils and organizing my Trapper Keeper. Back to school clothes shopping was the greatest and picking out the first day outfit could take weeks! I always got to select a new lunch box and I made sure that good snacks were inside for that first day in the school cafeteria.
In the 1980’s Fruit roll-Ups came on the scene and I felt like a cool kid when these made it into my lunchbox. Making homemade fruit leathers or fruit roll ups has been on my summer time recipe ‘to do’ list and I finally got around to it. Now I’m a cool kid to the max! ! So easy. So cute. Such a sweet back to school, back to work, end of Summer, hello Fall, last looks treat.
Blueberry Ginger Fruit Leathers:
2 1/2 cups washed blueberries
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger powder
dash of salt
dash of pepper
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Place all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Pour fruit mixture over a parchment or silicone lined baking sheet and spread until 1/2″ thick. Bake for 3 hours or until the fruit is not tacky to the touch. Carefully peel away from liner and cut into 2″ strips. Roll each strip with parchment paper and tie with twine to close. Store in an airtight container.